Luis and Awad demonstrate different homemade flip toys made with
- paint stirrers and a cardboard shape,
- craft sticks and paper clips,
- a figure connected to the string at two places,
- chop sticks and a round figure that spins.
This is how the flip toy works.
- The flip toy is constructed in the "up position": the strings are straight across and the flip toy is above the ends of the sticks.
- When the flip toy swings to its down position, the strings cross on both sides of the shape.
- When you squeeze the sticks together it forces the other ends apart.
- When the stick ends are forced apart, they pull the strings straight.
- When the strings are straight across, the shape is forced to the "up position."